Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Latest Discoveries Around the Interwebs

I was using HelloTXT to update my status. I don't want to bash HelloTXT, but now I see why there was a whole lot more buzz around Ping.fm on the all glorious interwebs. HelloTXT offers you the ability to update multiple "micro-blogging" and social sites around the web such as Twitter, Plurk, Pownce, FriendFeed, Identi.ca, Facebook, Myspace, and more. Ping.fm does the same thing. HelloTXT allows you to update your status from a Jabber/Google Talk client, email, and SMS (unless you are with Verizon...) and supposedly integrates with Facebook as an app. I haven't witnessed a working Facebook app, then again, Facebook keeps changing their mind on how apps are supposed to work so who knows.



Media_httpi38tinypicc_fbicz


What sets Ping.fm ahead is that it allows you to do all of this (except SMS as far as I can tel but is easily overcomed by texting the email address they provide you with) as well as set up groups based on your mico-blogging, status updates, and blogging preferences. If you are reading this post then it was sent via Ping.fm (UPDATE: and cleaned up later in Blogger). The best part is it will post this to not only my Blogger account where I do most of my posting, but my Myspace blog will also update. I have a group set up for my status updates so those quick "I'm eating pizza" updates are sent only to those services I choose and the more deep but brief messages to to the micro-blogging services I prefer. On top of these features you can update from more IM clients (Gtalk, Yahoo, Messenger, and AIM) and they have a iGoogle gadget and Facebook application. I didn't have the time to play with the Facebook app but it look functioning which is better the HelloTXT and I will give it a longer try and send a dent with my thoughts. Facebook's new interface is rolling out today and Facebook isn't responding to my clicks. There is also the option to send in not only text but pictures which is hosted on Ping.fm.

It looks like a great start and it's still on beta so I expect a whole lot more features to trickle out. This is going to be my new one stop shop for all my quick updates and maybe even take over for my blog posts. I would love to have more options when posting to blogs. So far it looks like it's standard text and a title only but one can hope a more full featured blog editor will roll out soon.

UPDATE: I think I will wait until a better Blog editor is out as I am not only have to clean up my horrible grammer but also add links, pictures, and any other rich media by editing the post outside of Ping.fm.

My other discovery today that has been clogging my Gmail account has been ProBlogger's Darren Rowse experiment that has really put a boost on my social interactions out there. I want to shout out to all those who have subscribed to my various social spots and look forward to the discussions! Thanks for the adds. If I didn't add back don't be offended, I either got a bad vibe and already hate you or haven't got around to it and if you haven't, follow the link and check it out.

One last thing I would like to post is a question for the comments as I want to know if my comments are working and that question is this: Is anyone using Hulu.com? I love it and have become obsessed and I know there are many more out there and I wanted to know what your thoughts and opinions were about it. Have you used it? If not, why? If so, what are your impressions?

--

Brian
http://bmbufalo.blogspot.com
http://ping.fm/lZTxw

No comments:

Post a Comment